Turkey Season

Let's talk Hunting in and around Erieau.
huntnmachine

Turkey Season

Post by huntnmachine » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Well turkey season is approaching fast but not fast enough for me, watched a nice flock of hens, jakes and a few Toms yesterday on my way home from work :D although I do not hunt them here it was sure nice to see them!! My boys and I have a deer/turkey camp up in Durham that we hunt, anyone else counting the days

huntnmachine

Re: Turkey Season

Post by huntnmachine » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Judgement day is only a few hours away :D we are heading up to turkey camp Wednesday night for 4 days of gobbler hunting, sounds like some of the locals did well today even with this nasty weather

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Cool! Just got my tag today! Can't wait!!!

EB
May you have fair winds and following seas!

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Mon May 02, 2011 6:36 pm

We arrived at my hunt camp in Durham at 5:00 Wed night, drove through rain all the way :evil: it rained every day except Saturday for a few hours, my oldest lad had a shot at a nice Tom but as can happen miss judged the yardage and the result was a clean miss :D
How are our local hunters doing :?:

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 am

By buddy shot a 24lb tom not far from blenheim a couple days ago. It was his first bird so he is stoked!!
Trying to get him to post a pic...

A couple of my customers went out on opening day and shot a tom and a jake not far from Erieau Rd and #3 hwy.

Doesn't seem to a lack of birds this year. They are not the most vocal at the moment it seems though...

EB

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Well the 2012 season will be soon upon us, are guy's getting geared up for the first 2012 Tom to gobble and "make the hair on the back of your neck stand up"..........ok I can hear you guy's whispering (has he lost his marbles it is only March) well many would say yes I have but that is another story :o
Truth be know I have become a huge fan of gobbler hunting over the past 5 years.
Me and my 2 lads have a deer/turkey hunt camp in Durham that has produced some fine gobblers including my personal best a 24lb double bearded beast in the spring of 2010
In our area calling is getting tough due to lot's of locals hunting these majestic birds, lately we have had some real monsters hang up just outside of gun range...........ok it could be dad's bad calling :o
Good luck and be safe everyone
Terry

doctorfishey

Post by doctorfishey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 pm

I'm already starting to get ready a new fan on the full strutter is in the garage and a few new mouth calls are in my truck when I feel like practicing. Turkeys have quickly become one my favorites. Although my success rate has been pretty high that might contribute to my love for this type of hunting. I hope I keep gettin lucky. I need a good spring I pulled the bow back 4 times this fall and never let an arrow go. I need em to go left they go right I need a few more steps for them to enter a shooting lane and they turn around. I had 3 deer within 10 yds or so and not one got into a shooting lane and I had a bunch more just stay out of range. I was lucky with many opportunities but unlucky overall. So I'm really hopin to tag out this spring I'm going all in.

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey Doc,
Do you hunt them locally?
I have been spotting groups in fields from Lasalle to Harrow and everything in between lately
My cousin has farms in the Merlin area that have good populations, we may be looking at them very closely this spring when we return from our hunt camp in Durham
Terry

doctorfishey

Post by doctorfishey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:29 am

No I hunt towards Rodney. I do have a handfull of spots locally but I don't feel the small population of birds could sustain much pressure so I leave em alone and hope there are greater numbers for me in the future. Also I really have the birds dialed in up there so I prefer Rodney the population is much higher there I hear gobbles and have encounters on just about every hunt. I do have a flock that lives accross the street from me I see frequently. I might give it a go this year to save on travel time it would be nice to hit the woods and be home before my wife and kid even wake up with a big tom in the truck.

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Gobblers hunters............with this unseasonably warm winter/March will the big boyz be struttin there stuff a few weeks earlier than normal :? and if so will May produce good harvest numbers?

I am thinking hatch numbers should be very high this spring provided the heavy rains stay away :D

Terry

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:23 pm

My thoughts are that we will miss the prime mating season with weather like this.

EB

bushman007

Post by bushman007 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 pm

if weather stays like this it will be hard to pull the toms away from the hens

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 pm

I was just checking out my jake decoy with the ugly manufactured supposed to look like a jake beard and got to thinking, I have a few frozen jake beards from years past so I pulled the ugly one out of the decoy and is now in the trash, wrapped electrical tape around the base of the real beard to hold it together and inserted it into the hole of the decoy..............man does it look better
I need all the help I can get when hunting this majestic birds

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Can't go wrong with realism. Every turkey hunter I know steps up his game from year to year. I know an old hunter who has the normal plastic folding decoys but drapes real turkey wings (preserved from the year previous) over the body. I trust this works because he scores birds every year. But I have buddies that score birds every year with no mods to the cheapie decoys...?

EB

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:01 pm

For those of us that have been wondering what will be the effects of the summer like temps we had in March and milder than normal temps in April will have on gobbler hunting this season, well according to the experts not much, they claim the hens body chemistry relies more on what time the sun goes down rather than ambient temperature............natures time clock

This can also be true in below normal spring temperatures, in other words when it is time...........it is time, as long as the sun is doing it's thing the hens will do there's

However they did mention that this springs weather should move things along a little quicker than normal and I agree ;)
We are heading to Durham May 3rd to the 6th for our annual gobbler fest :D

Good luck everyone and keep us posted

Terry

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:14 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Driving back from Toronto along the 401 late Saturday afternoon (you cover a lot of territory on the 401) I saw several small flocks and was happy see the toms in strut!!

Good post huntnmachine!

EB

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks EB.........can't wait to get after them 8-)

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Poor calling but great shot..........enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7BC8qy1voU