New diver hunter to the area needs help.

Let's talk Hunting in and around Erieau.
Duckula

New diver hunter to the area needs help.

Post by Duckula » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:52 am

Hello ;

This is my first post after just joining the forum. I am a newbie to the area after having hunted Long Point for many years. I am hoping to explore the bay and thought that the forum would be a great place to start. I have been watching the slow but steady decline ( for whatever reason ) of divers from Long Point bay and thought that maybe this year I would try and hunt Rondeau bay. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might begin my search. Many questions come to mind such as where to hunt open water ( within 300m of vegetation) , boat launches, gps Settings etc, blind locations. I have been on the Rondeau bay waterfowlers website and of course the Ministry site so I am aware of the application and blind selection process ( similar to Long Point ) but as far as getting to know the bay, water depths, private property .....I guess maybe I need to meet up with a few seasoned veterans. Any help would be appreciated. I am planning a trip to the bay this summer to scout around so hopefully I can learn as much as I can until then.

Thank you
Jeff Kakaley

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Re: New diver hunter to the area needs help.

Post by EauBuoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:11 pm

First of all thanks for the post!

Not a waterfowl hunter but I can answer the majority of your questions.

-There are 6 boat launches in Erieau, one in Shrewsbury, one at the Summer Place, and of course you can launch at Rondeau. Come on down to the store and I'll point you the way.
-here is an old depth chart download/file.php?id=393&mode=view
-GPS way-points can be found on the Rondeau bay Waterfowlers site
http://www.rondeauwaterfowlers.com/meetings/5.0GPS.pdf

For more information I'd refer to John Coxon at Erieau Motel and Marina. He helps the RBWA guys organize the hunts. His number is 519-676-2101

EB
May you have fair winds and following seas!

Duckula

Post by Duckula » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Eb;

Thank you very much for the information. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction . Hope you don't mind if i mention you and the website when I call the marina.

Jeff.

Duckula

Post by Duckula » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks Eb,I will give John a call at the marina. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to reply to my questions.

Jeff.

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Not a problem Jeff. We'll be happy to see you around!

EB

huntnmachine

Post by huntnmachine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 am

Hey Ed
Thanks for the GPS readings and depth chart.............how resent is the depth chart of the bay?
thanks

EauBuoy
Site Admin

Post by EauBuoy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 am

There should be a date on that chart from the 70'. SO the depths are will have changed since, but the contours will be of mor use to you i think. It is all there is for Rondeau Bay as far as I know unfortunately.

EB